|I. General Information
|Title of Position:
||District Capacity Development Consultant
|Type of Contract:
|Duration of the assignment:
||JPLG target district – Somaliland
||MOI Director of the Department of Districts & Regions
II. Objectives of the assignment
The UN Joint Programme for Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery (JPLG), Phase III is a 5-year programme implemented by UNDP, UNCDF, ILO, UN-HABITAT and UNICEF. The Programme is aligned with the Somaliland National Development Plan II and supports the establishment and transformation of local government through capacitated institutions, legal frameworks, policies and practices that are accountable, inclusive, and gender-equal that support the effective delivery of services which contribute to improving the well-being of men, women and children. JPLG will focus on creating an enabling environment for improved service delivery and greater stability, through improved legal, policy and system frameworks. It will also support enhanced local government capacities and promote more inclusive local governance, with greater attention given to women, youth and minority groups. Specific programme outcomes are as follows:
Outcome 1: Policy, legal and regulatory frameworks on local governance finalized.
Outcome 2: Local governments have the capacity to deliver equitable and sustainable services, promote economic development and peace.
Outcome 3: Local governments demonstrate improved engagement of citizens, with an emphasis on women and marginalized groups.
Somaliland Ministry of Interior (MOI), with support from JPLG III, is institutionalizing the district planning (including the district development framework, Annual Work plans and Budgeting process), administration, financial management, and human resources management to ensure the improvement of the capacity of district councils to plan local priorities and strengthen the implementation of new functions in support of decentralized service delivery.
Under the direct supervision of the District Mayor, MOI Director of the Department of Districts and Regions, the consultant is expected to work with the districts’ department of planning and administration/Finance and be responsible for managing the district’s capacity development efforts to enable local government officials deliver services to the communities in line with district priorities and approaches.
|III. Functions / Key Results Expected
|Summary of Key Functions:
In consultation with the MOI Director of the Department of Districts and Regions, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Act as District Participatory Planning and Financial Guideline (DPFG) resource person and provide relevant training and on-the-job coaching;
- Support establishment/development of the district’s Departments of Planning and Administration/Finance;
- Support District Council and Department of Planning in the development of a strategic District Development Framework (DDF), Annual Work Plans and Budgeting;
- Provide support and on-the-job training based on the Human Resource Management (HRM) Guideline, Office Administration Manual (OAM) and finance department to ensure appropriate handling and filing of all documents of relevance to district operations;
- Support the district’s organizational restructuring and development of operational policies and procedures for effective performance and service delivery;
- Ensure timely reporting on achievements against agreed work plans and raise challenges and opportunities to relevant authorities for follow-up.
1. Act as District Participatory Planning and Financial Guideline (DPFG) resource person and provide relevant training to and on-the-job coaching:
- Act as focal point for all DPFG related capacity development activities and promote coherence among JPLG’s interventions at the district level;
- Work closely with Somaliland Ministry of Interior and Local Government Institute (LGI) in revising and standardizing the DPFG training modules and attend relevant training of trainers;
- Assess district training needs and support development of training plans for the districts;
- Assist MoI and LGI in designing, scheduling and the implementation of DPFG training activities, and assist districts oversee that training activities are implemented as planned and with participation of relevant counterparts;
- Support MOI and LGI in designing M&E system for training activities, TOTs and other trainings provided and record activities in the field;
- Work closely with the M&E and data Management Consultant;
- Support design/implementation of DPFG processes and procedures and provide feedback to MOI on progress and suggestions for changes as required;
- Transfer information and skills on DPFG processes and procedures to district councilors, administration, staff and other relevant actors.
2. Support establishment/development of the district’s Department of Planning:
- Facilitate discussions/visioning exercises for the Department of Planning to clarify vision, mission and goals;
- Facilitate discussions around roles and responsibilities of the Department of Planning (DOP) vis-à-vis other departments and actors;
- Support restructuring of the district administration to include the DOP and functional clarity related to planning;
- Help develop and implement planning processes and procedures across departments and the district council;
- Develop and/or adapt project cycle management procedures and templates (for project identification, project approval, project evaluation, etc.) based on DPFG guidelines, relevant training modules, as well as, the international best planning practices.
3. Support District Council and Department of Planning in the development of a strategic DDF, Annual Work Plan and Budgeting:
- Support identification of data needs and establishment of data collection and management systems
- Coordinate on data exchange with the relevant local, national and international bodies;
- Provide technical advice and assist development of M&E frameworks and indicators for AWP&B and DDF;
- Assist district to compile District Profile, organize Community Consultations, and seek National and Sectoral inputs for DDF, AWP and Budget;
- Promote coordination between the district, regional and central level bodies in line with the ministries of interior, planning and finance;
4. Provide support and on-the-job training based on the Human Resource Management (HRM) Guideline, Office Management and Administration Manual (OM&AM) and finance department to ensure appropriate handling and filing of all documents of relevance to district operations:
- Act as focal point for all the administration and Finance related capacity development activities at the district level;
- Review the documentation available at the district level, including but not limited to storage facilities and access by district staff and identify what is lacking, and the timeline and actions needed to address these identified issues. This shall include a work plan for on-the-job training;
- Facilitate the acquiring of necessary documents and assist the council in establishing a dynamic documentation center on staff issues where documents are available and accessible;
- Carry out all these activities hand-in-hand with district administration staff to ensure that they can take over this responsibility;
- Act as Human Resource and Office Management and Administration Manual resource person and provide relevant training and on-the-job coaching;
- Assist MoI and LGI review HRM and Office Management manuals, training modules and attend relevant training of trainers (TOTs);
- Assess District Department for Administration and Finance in assessing training needs and support development of training plans for these departments;
- Assist and train district departments of Administration and Finance on all administrative and human resource management issues;
- Assist MoI and LGI in the designing, scheduling and implementation of Human Resource Guideline training activities, and assist districts oversee that training activities are implemented as planned and with participation of relevant counterparts.
5. Support the district’s organizational restructuring and development of operational policies and procedures for effective performance and service delivery:
- Conduct institutional and capacity assessments and promote development of a prioritized capacity development action plan for the district;
- Facilitate discussions around functions of different departments and units, and develop Terms of Reference for district departments, units and staff;
- Advise MOI on changes in approach, timing or other issues that require special attention and action.
6. Ensure timely reporting on achievements against agreed work plans and raise challenges and opportunities to relevant authorities for follow up.
- Develop quarterly and annual work plans including performance indicators;
- Submit monthly/quarterly monitoring reports highlighting progress against agreed work plan results, challenges, opportunities and issues to be addressed by MOI;
- Provide inputs to MOI, Department of Districts and Regions to ensure timely reporting on LOAs and other agreements with JPLG.
|V. Final product/deliverable
|The outputs will be:
- Capacity Building Strategy for district staff in planning and Admin/Finance departments;
- Approved quarterly capacity building plan for districts (DPFG, HRM, OM&AM, etc.);
- Annual outcome report of DDF in line with respected Pillar of NDP in target districts;
- District Resource Center to house all district information and data;
- District DDF and AWP&B
- Approved monthly, quarterly and annual reports
||University Degree in Social Science, Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Science or any other relevant field. Additional qualifications in training methodologies and adult learning are an added advantage.
||q At least 4 years of relevant training and/or capacity building experience, two of which must have been attained in Somaliland in the last five years.
q A solid understanding of district planning, investment administration and human resource;
q A solid understanding of Somaliland’s system of district-based local governance;
q Management experience an asset;
q Experience in promoting capacity building and local governance in multi-cultural environments, and in conflict environments.
||· Fluency in written and spoken Somali
· Good English working knowledge and writing skills.
|VIII: Application Instructions:
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to send their applications (CV, Motivational letter and scan copy of credentials) marked “CD Consultant” by 30/07/ 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
|Women qualified applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.