- About Us
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Title of Position: Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant
Type of Contract: National Consultant
Duration of the assignment: 3 months
Duty station: Ministry of Interior (MoI), Somaliland – Hargeisa (with travel to districts)
Supervisor: Director General, MoI
Issue date: 28 April 2020
Deadline for application: 5 May 2020
The Somaliland Ministry of Interior (MoI) is responsible for the local government’s portfolio, including district council formation, establishing systems for local governance structures and strengthening their capacity with a view to promoting democratic and accountable local governments that provide better basic services for stability and enhanced peace. In this regard, MoI supports service delivery at the local level through political, fiscal and administrative decentralization. Local Governments (encompassing local administrations and district councils) are the third and lowest tier of elected/representative government and are crucial to building confidence in government structures because of their proximity to citizens – and the likelihood of it being the first encounter for people with the government. District Councils provide basic services to the public in coordination with the regions and national authorities.
Since 2012 the Somaliland government and the UN Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery (JPLG) which is a five-agency joint programme comprising ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UN-HABITAT and UNICEF with the overall goal of “creating an enabling environment for improved service delivery and greater stability, through improved legal, policy and system frameworks – building the knowledge of those working in and with local governments” have been helping Somaliland government to pilot service delivery in 8 districts – i.e. Berbera, Borama, Burao, Gabilay, Hargeisa, Odweyne, Sheikh and Zaylac – through devolution of some functions to enhance service delivery. Progress achieved and lessons learned in the process made it possible for the government to extend the interventions to three new districts in 2019.
One of the main assigned roles of the Ministry of Interior is to conduct oversight missions to oversee the overall performance of local governments and to explore the impacts of the local governance programme. The Department of Districts and Regions (under the Ministry of Interior) has not been able to conduct effective oversight functions as a result of poor M&E systems and practices that have not been able to document, provide feedback to local government activities and promote knowledge management on results, performance and lessons learned. Therefore, the Ministry of Interior seeks to develop oversight frameworks and tools to identify and track progress in key areas, and assist with the monitoring, verification and measurement of impact of the local governance interventions in line with districts and national plans.
In line with this, UNDP-JPLG will support the Somaliland Ministry of Interior improve its M&E capacity through hiring of a short-term M&E consultant to develop the necessary tools and framework. The consultant will be based at the Ministry of Interior and will be supervised by the Director General of the Ministry of Interior. The position is for a limited period of three months.
III. Objectives of the assignment
The consultant will design appropriate monitoring and evaluation framework and tools that will be used for data collection, analysis and reporting. These will be designed in consultation with the Ministry of Interior, Local Governments and other relevant ministries and stakeholders and should be in line with the Somaliland National Development Plan and the District Development Frameworks.
IV. Scope of Work
1. Review the current Ministry’s M&E system
• Carry out internal assessment of M&E systems/mechanisms, processes and procedures within the ministry and recommend changes and/or improvements.
• Organize consultatations with the relevant stakeholders and beneficiaries to collect and integrate their views on an optimal M&E system.
• Identify the capacity gaps in M&E and data collection in MoI and Provide recommendations.
2. Develop monitoring and evaluation framework/tools for activities relating to LG in Somaliland districts
• Assist MoI to develop local governance specific monitoring and evaluation frameworks and tools in consultation with relevant ministries, sections and districts.
• Based on the framework develop simple and user-friendly monitoring/oversight format and guidelines to be used in the monitoring process.
• Assist MoI to develop process, output, outcome and impact level indicators related to local governance for progress monitoring and evaluation;
• Assist MoI to prepare an annual monitoring and evaluation plan consistent with the M&E Framework.
• Assist the ministry to develop/modify recording and reporting templates and formats that meet reporting requirement of the various stakeholders.
• Assist the staff of MoI (especially the department for regions and districts) and districts to develop field monitoring report templates and guide them on preparation of such reports that will be disseminated for feedback.
• Design appropriate mechanisms for increased community participation, including institutional set-up, tools, reporting lines and feedback mechanisms
3. Present the draft Monitoring and Evaluation Framework
• Present the draft Monitoring and Evaluation Framework with key conclusions and recommendations to key stakeholders.
• Collect and document inputs from stakeholders for incorporation into the final framework
4. Produce and present the final Monitoring and Evaluation Framework
• Finalize the Monitoring and Evaluation Framework including comments and inputs from the stakeholders
• Conduct a validation workshop with key stakeholders on the final Monitoring and Evaluation Framework including key conclusions and operationalizing recommendations.
III. MONITORING AND PROGRESS CONTROLS
The M&E consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Director General of the Ministry Interior and will provide reports to the DG. The reports are to be endorsed by the UNDP-JPLG and will form the basis for payment and end of contract performance evaluation.
Deliverables/Outputs Estimated Duration Submit for review and approval Payment
Inception report that responds to the ToR and includes a workplan and methodology for the assignment. 15 days DG of MOI, Director for Districts & Regions, UNDP-JPLG 20%
Presentation of the draft M&E framework/tools incorporating the M&E Plan, M&E formats, Field monitoring/oversight report formats, training reports formats, monthly/quarterly/annually report formats, completion of works/services report formats) 40 days DG of MOI, Director for Districts & Regions, UNDP-JPLG 30%
Presentation of the final and validated M&E Framework 30 days DG of MOI, Director for Districts & Regions, UNDP-JPLG 50%
Education: Master’s degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, M&E, Statistics, Development Studies, management or related field.
Experience: A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in M&E and data base systems, project planning and implementation, monitoring and evaluation. Prior experience in Somaliland is an added advantage.
Competencies: • Proven ability to formulate development results, baselines, indicators and measurable targets
• Builds strong relationships with clients
• IT competencies in Word, Excel, Power Point, statistical packages and internet.
• Demonstrates strong analytical and management skills.
• Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
• Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
Language requirements: Fluency in English and Somali (written and spoken) is required.
Please send your application (curriculum vitae and cover letter) marked “Monitoring & Evaluation Consultant” by 28/04/2020 to 05/05/2020 to email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Ministry will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.